Tuesday 10 February 2009

Past, Present and Future

As my time at University approaches an end, I've been having thoughts about what I have gained from this experience (other than a whopping debt, lots of Ikea furniture, a gerbil and a slight penchant for cheap white wine).

The negatives need a mention my course (Business Studies) in its nature of being quite general and broad has had many topics that I have no interest in whatsoever, hence ultimate boredom for many lectures. Without a doubt I would recommend to anyone choosing a degree to study that a specific subject would be a better idea.

Also, BSc. or BA. I only learnt the difference in my second year when I complained that half of my degree so far had been mathematics,  in retrospect I would choose a BA, even if it is less well regarded in some subjects, I feel for what I wanted to learn - practical, realistic, modern ways of working in a wide range of business environments the arts side would have been more applicable that science.

So on to the positives. Whilst I don't think I have become an amazing businessman, I did mange to get onto a work placement, which did allow me to gain endless amount of real world skills, experiences and a graduate job! Hurrah! Also, I've met a huge variety of people, one giant plus by going to Uni in London as opposed to some other UK cities is that in the past four years I've met people and learnt about cultures from every corner of the globe Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Iran, India, Israel, Russia, Lithuanian, Tanzania, South Africa right over the Atlantic to Brazil, the US and Canada - and no doubt a few others I've missed out somewhere in between.

London is definitely home nowadays, with Scunthorpe as my home town. Living in three locations in four years has taught me a lot, mainly about estate agents, utilities and packing! A notable recent example is my households first water bill for using 73,000 litres of water in a month, which in practical terms is the equivalent of flushing the toilets 243 times or putting the washing machine on 40 times a day, every day, for a month! I have yet to get a reply from Thames Water about my presumption that they have billed us for the street!

Where will my degree take me, other than being able to write a book '101 things to do with pasta, tomatoes and cheese'? Well from September back to retail, possibly a path I thought it could have been four years ago, but I do have intentions to explore other options, teaching has always been on the back burner, the media certainly interests me although how I'd get into that now is a little beyond my current thinking, or some form of events or project management and I can't forget at the moment my recent interest in politics may just persuade me to do a Masters (MA not MSc...) if working life is getting a bit of a drag in a few years.

One thing I know I really, really, really won't miss about Uni is the computers... after trawling the campus to find one, as usual Firefox freezes for five to ten seconds every twenty for thirty seconds, so writing this blog was a bit of a challenge... gave up in the end and returned home to write it on my trust Mac... although I think that opens up a completely separate blog in itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment