Monday 2 February 2009

Snow Day

No good Blogger could let today pass without reference to what Londoners have deemed 'Snow Day'. In my four years living in London I have never seen more than a sprinkling of snow and according to the news this much has not fallen for 18 years!

I didn't quite realise the extent of the disruption to transport until I heard that all buses had been suspended, no buses in London is the equivalent of closing the roads in any other townor city which doesn't rely on public transport, even though the tube was generally running, many people need a bus to get to the tube station, so in short, anyone needing to make a journey was going to have limited success.

Nevertheless, ignoring advice not to travel unless it was a necessity, I decided to make my way to Hampstead Heath using the Overground which was generally working well. Unfortunately, as my train pulled into Highbury & Islington we were evacuated because it had set on fire! I'm not quite sure how it had managed to do this on the snowiest/coldest day London has seen... but TfL never ceases to amaze!

Anyhow, all in all, a terrific day, many people and children who didn't make it to work or school were out in force, people were happy and talking to each other, two things quite untypical for London and the inventiveness of some sledges people had created were top notch, my three favourites were: 
a) a dustbin chopped in half 
b) a lid off the recycling box 
c) an estate agent to let sign 

I've attached a few links to pictures throughout (I did try and include them in the blog, but either I'm rubbish or my Mac didn't want to let me do it). I'll also use this as the moment to unveil my Picasa Web Albums! Unfortunately my camera battery was dead, so all of the HH photos are on my average iPhone camera. Please feel free to have a look at any of my other albums!

I hope whatever the weather is in your area you are enjoying it to the maximum! It doesn't happen that often... so enjoy it, have some fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment